Family History Federation

Bowhill House Register of Admissions – 1801-1805

This booklet was compiled by members of the Devon Family History Society in co-operation with the Devon Records Office. The booklet provides an extract of some information and further details may be obtained from the Devon Records Office. St Thomas’ Hospital for Lunatics was opened as an asylum for mentally-ill patients on 1st July 1801. It was the last asylum to be built entirely by voluntary subscription, as the 1808 County Asylums Act allowed for the funding of asylums by a combination of money raised by rates and by subscriptions. The asylum was built at Bowhill House which was bought by the committee of subscribers in 1800, repaired, and enlarged to accommodate seventy patients. Joseph Gillett was appointed the first Director and Mrs Gillett the first housekeeper, on the recommendation of Mr Haslam, the apothecary of Bethlem Hospital. This register, 3992F/H21, is the first admission register for the asylum and records both private and pauper patients. It lists the patient’s name, age and parish, the date and class of their admission, the names of the two people standing surety for the bond and a brief medical history including the dates of any trial periods and the date the patient was considered cured. Information about patients at this time can also be found in the Committee Minute Book, 1795-1805, 3992F/H1/1.

£3.00

SKU : D037

Skip to content