Family History Federation

Mary Tavy School – Census Register of Children Aug 1890

This booklet was compiled by members of the Devon Family History Society in co-operation with the Devon Records Office. The booklet provides an extract of some information and further details may be obtained from the Devon Records Office. This school was built in 1836-1837 as a National School (a Church of England school), and the date of 1836 was incised on the stone forming the threshold of the gateway to the playground. The school was supported by the Rector of St. Mary Tavy parish, the owners of Wheal Friendship Mine and the payments made by parents. In 1845 the parish vestry minutes recorded a resolution to add an extra room to the existing schoolroom. This school register is one of the two earliest known original records of pupils attending Mary Tavy School, which now exist in the record office collections. However, it is not an admission register, but a ‘Census Register’ of children attending the school in the parish of St. Mary Tavy in August 1890. It was compiled under the Elementary Education Act of 1876, for the School Attendance Committee, to record the number of school-age children in the parish who were in school. The volume gives the name of the pupil, the name of one parent (generally the father), the place of residence, date of birth, previous schools (if any), and standard (grade) currently reached in school. The pupils’ names are listed in alphabetical order, with an alphabetical index at the front of the volume.

£3.00

SKU : D169

Skip to content