Acorn Club Treasure Hunts
May Plymouth Hoe
May Devonport Park
Prizewinners will be posted here.
Unable to take part in these Treasure Hunts?
Devonport Park Differences
Print this page, ring the differences and list them.
If you wish, send to: The Secretary, Devon FHS, PO Box 9, Exeter, Devon EX2 6YP
with your name, age and address and you will be sent an Acorn Club badge and a certificate.
Schools - whole class entries - only one badge and certificate for the best entry.
Devon FHS’s 2014 Acorn Club Wartime Competition
Brandon, Judah and Bethany have won £20 book tokens
Click here for details
Well done to Eleanor Parkyn who won the FFHS competition. Here she is with Nick Barratt:
How can you join the Acorn Club?
If you are interested in your family history, particularly in Devon, you are automatically a member of the
Acorn Club. Welcome!
- Welcome to the exciting world of family history. This is a special kind of history because it is all
about you. Only your brothers and sisters will have the same story to tell, because it is all about
- Family history is discovering the names of your ancestors but it can be much more. You can find out
about the jobs they did, the places where they lived and what their lives were like.
- Searching for your family history is a bit like being a detective. You have to search for clues in
many different places to try and find out answers to your questions. You have to be careful because
sometimes you will find red herrings (false leads and information).
- It is rather like doing a jigsaw puzzle, except with family history, there are always some pieces
missing. Some of the information may be in your own house, or in the houses of your grandparents or
your aunts, uncles or cousins.
- Look at the Getting Started (link) and Activities (link) pages to see what Acorn Club member Martha
found for her own family history, then discover if your families have anything like this.
- If you have anything you would like to add to the Acorn Club pages, perhaps stories, puzzles or
things you have found out about your family history, email
email@example.com (Please ask your
parents’ permission first)
Maggie helps with the Acorn Club, providing help and advice to set up after school and lunch time clubs. She
provides resources and support within schools to use family history to enhance the curriculum. If you see
her at a Family History exhibition say “Hello”, ask her for an Acorn Club badge and let her know
what you have discovered about your family.