We are here to help you, wherever you live. Tree House research centre in the heart of Exeter has a wealth of information and resources along with experienced, friendly volunteers on hand to help and guide you. Whether you’re just starting out in family history or you’ve hit a brick wall and don’t know how to break it, a visit to Tree House could open new pathways to the past. Your reward could be a realistic and meaningful discovery of your ancestors. If you are unable to visit the centre we also provide a personalised research service.
What’s at Tree House
- We are a Service Point for Devon Heritage Centre, we hold all their Parish Registers on microfiche as well as Inland Revenue Wills (1812-1857)
- We are now a Family Search affiliate library
- We have 7 public computers with access to these subscription websites:
- Ancestry Library,
- Find My Past,
- the Genealogist
- the British Newspaper Archive.
- We can also help you find the most useful online resources for your research
- Our complete range of indexes
- Our extensive library can help whether you are researching the history of your family, home, village or town. It contains general genealogy and history volumes as well as many resources on Devon people and places and books by local authors. We also have a large number of Devon family histories (put your surname into our search box)
- Parish files and Family files, take pot luck with information given to us over many years
- Extensive Methodist and rare Bible Christian books and records
- Telephone advice available on 01392.433212 during our opening hours
- Follow the link to search our full catalogue:
Monthly Help Desk Sessions
Every day is a ‘help day’ at Tree House but, if you are new to Family History we hold special sessions on the first Thursday of the month . These need to be booked, please phone during our opening hours
Come along to our next
Help Desk session on the first Thursday of
each month 10.30am-4.00pm
Please book on 01392 433212
All are welcome, you do not need to be a member of Devon FHS to use our research facilities.
Postal enquiries to:
Devon Family History Society,
PO Box 9,
Tree House in Exeter is YOUR Research Centre Tree House is now the Service Point for Exeter.
7-9 King Street,
Visiting Tree House
- We are open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10.30 – 16.00
- We are closed on Bank Holiday Mondays (inc 8th May 2023) BUT can open by appointment only on Monday 10th April 2023- phone or email as below to make appointment.
- Tree House wll be closed for the Christmas break. The last day we are open before our Christmas break will be Thursday 7th December 2023. We will re-open at 10.30 on Tuesday 2nd January 2024.
- The facilities at Tree House are free to members, visitors are very welcome and charged £3 a day
- Our address is: Unit 1, 7-9 King Street, Exeter, EX1 1BH
- Phone: 01392 433212
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal enquiries should be sent to Devon FHS, PO Box 9, Exeter, EX2 6YP
- Accessibility: there are two small steps into the building with a grab rail. We have a ramp available. There are also a few steps to the kitchen and toilets. Visitors with a blue badge can park on double yellow lines opposite Tree House. Visitor wifi is available
Where to find Tree House
- Unit 1, 7-9 King Street, Exeter, EX1 1BH
- Matford Park & Ride ↔ Exeter ↔ Sowton Park & Ride
- Honiton Rd. Park & Ride ↔ Paris St. (15 mins’ walk)
Bus & Railway Station
- 15 mins’ walk from Exeter Bus Station
- Buses from Exeter St. David’s Station ↔ Queen St.
- 10 mins’ walk from Exeter Central Station
- 15 mins’ walk from Exeter St. Thomas